Saturday, June 6, 2009

We've Lost Control



During my three-day, near-death experience with a viral infection last week I watched a lot of stuff on my laptop. I saw Glee twice and loved it, caught up on Parks and Recreation (which I also love, more than I once thought) and silenced Feifei's (www.feifeithemorningafter.blogspot.com/) begging by finally moving the Joy Division flick, Control, to the top of my Netflix queue.

If you haven't seen Control, it follows the story of Joy Division's front man Ian Curtis. You follow Curtis from his high school days spent daydreaming class away, and his afternoons lip-syncing David Bowie in his room (so dreamy, right?) into the explosion of Joy Division. Control, and likewise Joy Division, ends with Curtis's all-too-soon suicide at the age of 23. The scene itself is appropriately set to Joy Division's Atmosphere.

Aside from featuring the incredibly cute and delightfully British Sam Riley, Control is filmed beautifully in black and white and turned me into an even greater Joy Division fan than I already was. His almost anti-fashion wardrobe, consisting of trench coats, oversized trousers, and button-ups made me fall even harder, not to mention his signature dance during his performance of "She's Lost Control" and those incredible guitar riffs that made me almost lose control (!).

Without further adieu, The Katie Girls present their personal Joy Division soundtrack.


1 comment:

  1. If you liked Control, try "Joy Division" the 2007 documentary by Grant Gee. Conrol was great, I loved it. Perfect casting on all counts, not only did the cast look the part, but they could actually act.

    Joy Division, the documentary, is much less damatized (though it's a pretty dramatic story anyway). It gives a good backstory and really captures the desolate, gritty Machester scene. It's a great addition to Control because it fills in some parts that would not have meshed with Control's story. Really good outtakes and live footage too.

    Also in that same period is 24 Hour Party People, the story of Tony Wilson and his label, Factory Records, that signed Joy Division. It's a fast, upbeat, eccentric movie that gives an overview of the music scene from the 70's to the late 80's.

    ReplyDelete