Monday, June 1, 2009

The Original Babe

While clicking through LIFE's recently unearthed photo outtakes of a pre-mega-fame Marilyn Monroe, I was reminded of how much I used to idolize and love dear Norma Jean. Long before my discovery of more, let's say, subversive fashion icons, Marilyn was it. I was obsessed with her platinum bob, her curves, her perfect pout.

I used to make my mom photocopy black and whites out of library books and save them in my drawers. I postered my walls with her face, an old friend even painted me a Marilyn chair! Also, she fit pretty perfectly into my burgeoning love for Andy Warhol. I found some Marilyn wrapping paper, which was quickly adhered to my closet doors. A few months ago my little cousin came strolling in and remarked "You're really obsessed with that blond woman, aren't you" and I was kinda like, oh yeah! I was!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that regardless of what tangent I may be on, Marilyn will always hold a special place in my heart...these pictures are just another example of why...

To see the rest of the pictures, visit http://www.life.com/image/first/in-gallery/27412







2 comments:

  1. Great blog! Love this article about Marilyn. Real woman with real curves and not afraid to show it. The Today Show actually had two men on that were auctioning off clothing that she wore in films and a script from Some Like it Hot.

    So I currently work with chickdowntown.com, an online women's designer clothing store. Given the interest of you blog, I'd love to work with you to coordinate a giveaway for your readers of a designer item.

    What do you think?

    Email me at alyssa@brandingbrand.com

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article and blog! I only began to admire Marilyn in the last few years, but I'm definitely smitten! Check out my retro-themed fashion & beauty blog "What Would Marilyn Do?" inspired by the blonde bombshell. http://whatwouldmarilyndo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete