Saturday, April 17, 2010

WWOD: 2010 Census

I know, I've been the worst blog contributor ever. It's been months since I've said anything and now I'm back and, uh, complaining? Sorry guys - it's Robin, and I'm here now, and I'm going to try real hard and make it up to you!

Not only have I been missing from the blog, but so has our favorite man of power - Obama! Despite what all of nasty those critics say, we still think Obams is tops and has done a stellar job thus far in his presidency. That being said, we're going to revisit one of our very neglected sections and ask everyone's favorite rhetorical, not-so-politically themed question, What Would Obama Do?

On Tuesday, April 13th NPR (that’s National Public Radio for your Canadians) ran a story that I was a bit grossed out by it. Truth be told, I think Obams would feel the same.

If you listen to the piece – which I would recommend – you’ll find that it discusses how low the return rates are for the U.S. census specifically in large cities like New York, specifically in everyone’s favorite hipster enclave to make fun of and then frequent on the weekend, Williamsburg.

Now being a Greenpointer myself and therefore a nearby northern neighbor, I suppose I shouldn’t make too much fun of the 'Berg and for the most part I don’t. But here’s the thing, and listening to the NPR clip will really get you going with this one, the return rate for the U.S. Census in Willamsburg is 30%. If it’s been a while since your last math lesson, then I’ll have you know that that means that 70% of people in Williamsburg have not submitted their Census (Censei?) forms.

Being someone who likes to fill out forms (either I’m super anal about being organized or just so narcissistic that I enjoy answering questions about myself) I filled out this form in the first five minutes that my second level apartment received it. When I stopped to confirm with my roommate that she had no Hispanic origins, she requested I fib a bit and say that she did. On the census? No! was my answer. This is the census! If there’s one thing we’re not going to lie on, it’s the Census.

I’ll let the NPR story give you the rest of the info. Sure, they only talk to a few folks, and sure – a large percentage of Williamsburg’s population is made up of Hasidic Jews who are just as much to blame for not filling out their Census forms. The thing is, I’m not sure why the people of Willliamsburg – or anywhere, for that matter – can’t just fill out a quick form, pure and simple. Or really, if you’d rather, I’ll do it for you.

In this case, we hardly need to even ask "What Would Obama Do?" because the guy is the one who's asking practically asking you to fill out the form. But that's not the point. The point is that he would fill out the Census without even thinking about it because it's his civil duty, and it's just what you do.

So come on guys, do the damn thing and fill out that census!

No comments:

Post a Comment